The Linux Command Line: A Complete Introduction
You've experienced the shiny, point-and-click surface of your Linux computer—now dive below and explore its depths with the power of the command line. The Linux Command Line takes you from your very first terminal keystrokes to writing full programs in Bash, the most popular Linux shell. Along the way you'll learn the timeless skills handed down by generations of gray-bearded, mouse-shunning gurus: file navigation, environment configuration, command chaining, pattern matching with regular expressions, and more. In addition to that practical knowledge, author William Shotts reveals the philosophy behind these tools and the rich heritage that your desktop Linux machine has inherited from Unix supercomputers of yore. As you make your way through the book's short, easily-digestible chapters, you'll learn how to: Create and delete files, directories, and symlinks Administer your system, including networking, package installation, and process management Use standard input and output, redirection, and pipelines Edit files with Vi, the world's most popular text editor Write shell scripts to automate common or boring tasks Slice and dice text files with cut, paste, grep, patch, and sed Once you overcome your initial "shell shock," you'll find that the command line is a natural and expressive way to communicate with your computer. Just don't be surprised if your mouse starts to gather dust.
By: William E. Shotts Jr., Published 2012-01-17 by No Starch Press
- How Linux Works: What Every Superuser Should Know
- Automate the Boring Stuff with Python: Practical Programming for Total Beginners
- Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming
- Linux Pocket Guide: Essential Commands
- Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible
- Linux Bible
- Wicked Cool Shell Scripts: 101 Scripts for Linux, OS X, and UNIX Systems
- UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook, 4th Edition
- LINUX: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide!
- Python Playground: Geeky Projects for the Curious Programmer
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2017-01-15 11:50pm CST; please follow the links for current pricing.*