Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry
Short-listed for the 2015 Financial Times and McKinsey Business Book of the Year
A Wall Street Journal Best Business Book of 2015
A Best Business Book of the Year, Forbes Magazine
A Times of London Book of the Week
Best Narrative Business Book of 2015 by Strategy+Business
In 2009, BlackBerry controlled half of the smartphone market. Today that number is less than one percent. What went so wrong?
Losing the Signal is a riveting story of a company that toppled global giants before succumbing to the ruthlessly competitive forces of Silicon Valley. This is not a conventional tale of modern business failure by fraud and greed. The rise and fall of BlackBerry reveals the dangerous speed at which innovators race along the information superhighway.
With unprecedented access to key players, senior executives, directors and competitors, Losing the Signal unveils the remarkable rise of a company that started above a bagel store in Ontario. At the heart of the story is an unlikely partnership between a visionary engineer, Mike Lazaridis, and an abrasive Harvard Business school grad, Jim Balsillie. Together, they engineered a pioneering pocket email device that became the tool of choice for presidents and CEOs. The partnership enjoyed only a brief moment on top of the world, however. At the very moment BlackBerry was ranked the world's fastest growing company internal feuds and chaotic growth crippled the company as it faced its gravest test: Apple and Google's entry in to mobile phones.
Expertly told by acclaimed journalists, Jacquie McNish and Sean Silcoff, this is an entertaining, whirlwind narrative that goes behind the scenes to reveal one of the most compelling business stories of the new century.
By: Jacquie McNish, Published 2015-05-26 by Flatiron Books
- How Music Got Free: The End of an Industry, the Turn of the Century, and the Patient Zero of Piracy
- Digital Gold: Bitcoin and the Inside Story of the Misfits and Millionaires Trying to Reinvent Money
- Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future
- Misbehaving: The Making of Behavioral Economics
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
- Alibaba's World: How a Remarkable Chinese Company is Changing the Face of Global Business
- Superforecasting: The Art and Science of Prediction
- Dear Chairman: Boardroom Battles and the Rise of Shareholder Activism
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2017-01-16 08:52pm CST; please follow the links for current pricing.