Linux Smart Homes For Dummies
A Linux smart home is about controlling and monitoring devices and information around your home using a standard personal computer, Linux, and its vast array of open source tools. You don’t have to be a master programmer to create one. If you like to tinker with Linux, Linux Smart Homes For Dummies will guide you through cool home automation projects that are as much fun to work on as they are to use.
Home automation used to be limited to turning on lights and appliances, and maybe controlling your thermostat and lawn sprinkler, from your computer. While you still might not be able to create all the Jetsons’ toys, today you can also
- Build a wireless network
- Create and set up a weather station
- Automate your TV and sound system
- Spy on your pets when you’re not home
- Set up an answering system that knows what to do with calls
- Increase your home’s security
If you know how to use Linux and a few basic development tools — Perl, the BASH shell, development libraries, and the GNU C compiler—Linux Smart Homes For Dummies will help you do all these tricks and more. For example, you can
- Discover the best sources for Linux-based home automation devices
- Set up a wireless network, create a wireless access point, build a bridge between wired and wireless networks, and route your own network traffic
- Build a personal video recorder with MythTV that will record to DVD, or set up a wireless streaming music system
- Create a smart phone system that takes messages and forwards them to your fax, modem, or answering machine
- Build a weather station that notifies you of severe weather alerts
- Control and secure your home automation network, and even check on your house when you’re away
The bonus CD-ROM includes all kinds of cool open source software for your home automation projects. Linux Smart Homes For Dummies even includes lists of cool gadgets to check out and great ways to automate those boring household chores. A smart home’s a happy home!
- Used Book in Good Condition
By: Neil Cherry, Published 2006-08-14 by For Dummies
Sorry, but this product may no longer be available ... learn more
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2017-02-24 09:14am CST; please follow the links for current pricing.