Moore's Law: The Life of Gordon Moore, Silicon Valley's Quiet Revolutionary
At Fairchild Semiconductor, his seminal Silicon Valley startup, Moorea young chemist turned electronics entrepreneurhad the defining insight: silicon transistors, and microchips made of them, could make electronics profoundly cheap and immensely powerful. Microchips could double in power, then redouble again in clockwork fashion. History has borne out this insight, which we now call Moore’s Law”, and Moore himself, having recognized it, worked endlessly to realize his vision. With Moore’s technological leadership at Fairchild and then at his second start-up, the Intel Corporation, the law has held for fifty years. The result is profound: from the days of enormous, clunky computers of limited capability to our new era, in which computers are placed everywhere from inside of our bodies to the surface of Mars.
Moore led nothing short of a revolution. In Moore’s Law, Arnold Thackray, David C. Brock, and Rachel Jones give the authoritative account of Gordon Moore’s life and his role in the development both of Silicon Valley and the transformative technologies developed there. Told by a team of writers with unparalleled access to Moore, his family, and his contemporaries, this is the human story of man and a career that have had almost superhuman effects. The history of twentieth-century technology is littered with overblown revolutions.” Moore’s Law is essential reading for anyone seeking to learn what a real revolution looks like.
By: Arnold Thackray, Published 2015-05-05 by Basic Books
- The Intel Trinity: How Robert Noyce, Gordon Moore, and Andy Grove Built the World's Most Important Company
- The Man Behind the Microchip: Robert Noyce and the Invention of Silicon Valley
- Losing the Signal: The Untold Story Behind the Extraordinary Rise and Spectacular Fall of BlackBerry
- Makers of the Microchip: A Documentary History of Fairchild Semiconductor (MIT Press)
- Big Science: Ernest Lawrence and the Invention that Launched the Military-Industrial Complex
- The Chip : How Two Americans Invented the Microchip and Launched a Revolution
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future
- Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future
- The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses, and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution
- Becoming Steve Jobs: The Evolution of a Reckless Upstart into a Visionary Leader
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2016-10-28 10:50am CDT; please follow the links for current pricing.