The Internet of Things (The MIT Press Essential Knowledge series)
We turn on the lights in our house from a desk in an office miles away. Our refrigerator alerts us to buy milk on the way home. A package of cookies on the supermarket shelf suggests that we buy it, based on past purchases. The cookies themselves are on the shelf because of a "smart" supply chain. When we get home, the thermostat has already adjusted the temperature so that it's toasty or bracing, whichever we prefer. This is the Internet of Things -- a networked world of connected devices, objects, and people. In this book, Samuel Greengard offers a guided tour through this emerging world and how it will change the way we live and work.
Greengard explains that the Internet of Things (IoT) is still in its early stages. Smart phones, cloud computing, RFID (radio-frequency identification) technology, sensors, and miniaturization are converging to make possible a new generation of embedded and immersive technology. Greengard traces the origins of the IoT from the early days of personal computers and the Internet and examines how it creates the conceptual and practical framework for a connected world. He explores the industrial Internet and machine-to-machine communication, the basis for smart manufacturing and end-to-end supply chain visibility; the growing array of smart consumer devices and services -- from Fitbit fitness wristbands to mobile apps for banking; the practical and technical challenges of building the IoT; and the risks of a connected world, including a widening digital divide and threats to privacy and security. Finally, he considers the long-term impact of the IoT on society, narrating an eye-opening "Day in the Life" of IoT connections circa 2025.
By: Samuel Greengard, Published 2015-03-20 by The MIT Press
- The Silent Intelligence: The Internet of Things
- Designing the Internet of Things
- The Internet of Things: How Smart TVs, Smart Cars, Smart Homes, and Smart Cities Are Changing the World
- Internet of Things (A Hands-on-Approach)
- The Technological Singularity (The MIT Press Essential Knowledge series)
- The Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Metadata (The MIT Press Essential Knowledge series)
- Industry 4.0: The Industrial Internet of Things
- Enterprise IoT: Strategies and Best Practices for Connected Products and Services
- Designing Connected Products: UX for the Consumer Internet of Things
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2016-09-25 08:55pm CDT; please follow the links for current pricing.