Smart Machines: IBM's Watson and the Era of Cognitive Computing (Columbia Business School Publishing)
We are crossing a new frontier in the evolution of computing and entering the era of cognitive systems. The victory of IBM's Watson on the television quiz show Jeopardy! revealed how scientists and engineers at IBM and elsewhere are pushing the boundaries of science and technology to create machines that sense, learn, reason, and interact with people in new ways to provide insight and advice.
In Smart Machines, John E. Kelly III, director of IBM Research, and Steve Hamm, a writer at IBM and a former business and technology journalist, introduce the fascinating world of "cognitive systems" to general audiences and provide a window into the future of computing. Cognitive systems promise to penetrate complexity and assist people and organizations in better decision making. They can help doctors evaluate and treat patients, augment the ways we see, anticipate major weather events, and contribute to smarter urban planning. Kelly and Hamm's comprehensive perspective describes this technology inside and out and explains how it will help us conquer the harnessing and understanding of "big data," one of the major computing challenges facing businesses and governments in the coming decades. Absorbing and impassioned, their book will inspire governments, academics, and the global tech industry to work together to power this exciting wave in innovation.
By: John E. Kelly III, Published 2013-10-15 by Columbia University Press
- Cognitive Computing: A Brief Guide for Game Changers
- Cognitive Computing and Big Data Analytics
- Learning IBM Watson Analytics
- Final Jeopardy: The Story of Watson, the Computer That Will Transform Our World
- The Second Machine Age: Work, Progress, and Prosperity in a Time of Brilliant Technologies
- Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think
- Cognitive Cooking with Chef Watson: Recipes for Innovation from IBM & the Institute of Culinary Education
- How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed
- The Master Algorithm: How the Quest for the Ultimate Learning Machine Will Remake Our World
- Coming Jobs War
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2017-03-24 10:48pm CDT; please follow the links for current pricing.