The Mythical Man-Month: Essays on Software Engineering, Anniversary Edition (2nd Edition)
Few books on software project management have been as influential and timeless as The Mythical Man-Month. With a blend of software engineering facts and thought-provoking opinions, Fred Brooks offers insight for anyone managing complex projects. These essays draw from his experience as project manager for the IBM System/360 computer family and then for OS/360, its massive software system. Now, 20 years after the initial publication of his book, Brooks has revisited his original ideas and added new thoughts and advice, both for readers already familiar with his work and for readers discovering it for the first time.
The added chapters contain (1) a crisp condensation of all the propositions asserted in the original book, including Brooks' central argument in The Mythical Man-Month: that large programming projects suffer management problems different from small ones due to the division of labor; that the conceptual integrity of the product is therefore critical; and that it is difficult but possible to achieve this unity; (2) Brooks' view of these propositions a generation later; (3) a reprint of his classic 1986 paper "No Silver Bullet"; and (4) today's thoughts on the 1986 assertion, "There will be no silver bullet within ten years."
By: Frederick P. Brooks Jr., Published 1995-08-12 by Addison-Wesley Professional
- The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
- Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction, Second Edition
- Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship
- Dreaming in Code: Two Dozen Programmers, Three Years, 4,732 Bugs, and One Quest for Transcendent Software
- Coders at Work: Reflections on the Craft of Programming
- System Architecture: Strategy and Product Development for Complex Systems
- Programming Pearls (2nd Edition)
- Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software
Certain content that appears here comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'as is' and is subject to change or removal at any time. Pricing and availability accurate as of 2016-12-03 05:41am CST; please follow the links for current pricing.*